In previous days, a high wave of WannaCry ransomware has hit the Globe by turning down more than 2,00,000 governmental and other organizational computers. And once this ransomware enters in your PC, it will cost you a lot of money. So, today I will tell you how to prevent WannaCry ransomware entering your Windows PC. You don’t need any particular piece of software to do that. We can prevent WannaCry ransomware entering in your PC by using Windows Firewall. However, let me remind you that this guide will only show you to how to prevent WannaCry ransomware, not to fix your PC or remove it. For that, you will have to use some extra strong security mechanism based anti-ransomware software.
Ransomware is actually a program that password protects some of your files and demands some payment in bitcoin to release them. And if you fail to make payment on time, then it will delete your file from your computer permanently. So, before facing a huge loss, it’s better to prevent entering this threat in your Computer. After all, prevention is better than cure. And in this guide, I shall be showing you how to configure your Windows Firewall to block WannaCry ransomware.
- Password Manager Software for PC to Log Passwords for Quick Access
- How To Password Protect Any EXE File In Windows
Prevent WannaCry Ransomware Entering Your Windows PC:
Windows Firewall comes with the operating system itself and it plays a very important role you may not aware of. Basically, it serves the functioning of packet filtering which is coming in and out of your PC. Mainly, the source is the internet, but you can customize the firewall to block selective or all components.
In this guide, we will block port 445 and 139 of Windows PC to prevent WannaCry entering on your PC. And the process of doing that is very easy.
Following steps will tell you how to prevent WannaCry ransomware entering your Windows PC.
- Open run dialog by pressing the combination of Windows key+R. And type “wf.msc” in it to open Windows Firewall.
- Now, you have to click on Inbound Rules and then Click on New Rule.
- After that, New Rule wizard will show up which has 4 steps to configure it. So, in the first step which is Rule Type, click on Port. And hit Next button after that.
- Now, from the Protocols and Ports section, check TCP. And enter 445 and 139 in the Specific local ports field. But, don’t forget to separate them via comma.
Now, go through all the steps and let the setting be as default. In the last provide the name of the rule and end the process. You have done configuring the Firewall rule and after the newly created will look like:
In addition to this, Microsoft has also released some security patches for their latest as well as old operating systems such as Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, etc.
- See this Technet page of Microsoft to download security patches for Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
- And see this Technet page of Microsoft to get security patches for Windows XP SP2, SP3 and Windows server 2003.
WannaCry has already infected a lot of computers around the globe and I don’t want it to invade yours. Therefore, I have made this small guide which will keep you protected from WannaCry. Though, this method will not give you a complete protection from it, but, at least, you will be able to prevent WannaCry from entering your Window PC. So, get up and bound the rules that I have shown in this guide and get rid of worrying about this ransomware.